Home Travel to Belgium Visa for Belgium General information EU, EEE or Swiss Confederation Family member
EU, EEE or Swiss Confederation Family member
As a ‘Core’ family members of an EU, EEE or Swiss Confederation citizen, your visa procedure is facilitated: some requirements are not asked and the visa application form is simplified.
1. A so called “EU citizen” is a citizen of one of the European Union countries, of Norway, Iceland, Liechtenstein or Swiss Confederation.
2. The following persons are defined as ‘core’ family members:
- the spouse;
- the partner with whom the EU citizen has contracted a registered partnership, on the basis of the legislation of any Member State, if the legislation of the host Member State treats registered partnership as equivalent to marriage;
- the direct descendants who are under the age of 21 or are dependant as well as those of the spouse or partner as defined above; or
- the dependant direct relatives in the ascending line and those of the spouse or partner as defined above.
3. Visa application form: The same application form has to but used, but you are not obliged to answer to the questions marked with (*) (number 19, 20, 31, 32 and 33) (more details) (*)
4. Visa-handling fee: The visa-handling is free of charge but the service charge of TLS has to be paid
5. Prior appointment through the visa call center TLScontact is required.
6. Supporting documents:
Despite the requirements for the specifics types of visa, you have to provide the evidence that:
- there is an EU citizen from whom the visa applicant can derive any rights;
- you are a family member (e.g. a translated & legalised marriage certificate, translated & legalised birth certificate, proof of dependency, serious health grounds, durability of partnerships …) of the EU citizen and a copy of his identity card in Belgium or passport
- the visa applicant accompanies or joins an EU citizen (e.g. a proof that the EU citizen already resides in the host Member State or a confirmation that the EU citizen will travel to the host Member State).
7. The following documents are not required
- return plane ticket (reservation)
- medical insurance policy
- references of accomodations
- references of financial support